Thursday, July 7, 2011

Words from the Wise .....(via Forbes)

I love a good quote. In fact, I have a quote book at my desk at work. If something strikes me to be true or insightful, I write it down. Having a folder full of "snippits" reminds me to listen to others and their experiences. I stumbled upon a Forbes article that had some great quotes from talented and successful people in the art world and I wanted to share them... Enjoy!!


There's a vast difference between painting and being a painter.
-- Malcolm Forbes

Good painters imitate nature, bad ones spew it up.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Every artist dips his brush into his own soul and paints his own nature into his pictures. --Henry Ward Beecher

A little amateur painting in water-colors shows the innocent and quiet mind. --Robert Louis Stevenson

When I paint a picture I want to give a message and I care comparatively little about how good the art is.
--Vanessa Bell

The reason that some portraits don't look true to life is that some people make no effort to resemble their pictures.
--Salvador Dali

Public art is art that the public can't avoid.
--George Wyllie

A painting is like a man. If you can live without it, then there isn't much point in having it. --Lila Acheson Wallace

When love of painting (late a passion) came,
With kindling zeal he caught the novel flame;
To joys unfelt before with rapture sprung,
Forgot his age and found he still was young
.
--Sir Martin Archer Shee

Since I cannot sing, I paint. --Georgia O'Keeffe

The painters of old painted the ideas and not merely the shapes.
--Hsieh Ho

Art … is as much a source of happiness for the beginner as well as for the master. One forgets everything in one's work.
--Marie Bashkirtseff

Art-for-art's sake [and] art-for-people's sake are equally ridiculous. I suggest art for God's sake. --Jean Cocteau

Drawing is the true test of art.
--J.A.D. Ingres

A mere copier of nature can never produce anything great.
--Sir Joshua Reynolds

I have always tried to hide my efforts and wished my works to have the light joyousness of springtime, which never lets anyone suspect the labors it has cost.
--Henri Matisse

The enemy of all painting is the color grey.
--Eugene Delacroix

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
--Leonardo da Vinci

The most valuable of arts, the art of living. --Cicero

There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but here are others who, thanks to their art and intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
--Pablo Picasso

A Text ...

One star differeth from another star in glory.

--Corinthians 15:41

No comments:

Post a Comment