Thursday, July 14, 2011

"With L.A. 405 closure, it's all about surviving 'Carmageddon' " -LA Times

Having lived in Los Angeles for the past 8 plus years, freeways (and traffic) are my life. Whether we really think about it or not, living in our cars is something we see, feel, and participate in for a good chunk of our existence. I thought it was funny that some of my most commented paintings that I have done, have been about freeways. I think the reason for this is people love recognition. People love images they can relate to ...
There is something kind of beautiful about the "concrete jungle" that we live in/on. In the images below, artists use their color palette to make these recognizable images somewhat romantic... Take a look-see.









Karlin Meehan "Downtown" , 2004, 36" x36"
Karlin Meehan "Concrete Jungle", 2007, 12" x 18"

No comments:

Post a Comment