Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coral Painting

I have a friend that just recently purchased a new home. Let me tell you, its to die for. White walls, dark wooden floors, and colorful furniture pieces that are sprinkled throughout the house. I was delighted when she asked me to paint her something for her new place.... And we both came to the conclusion that a coral painting would be perfect to hang in her living room. She, and her roommate Brian, sent me a few coral prints to look at. I have to say; I've never done a piece like this before so it was a learning experience. But I think the colors will really lighten up their home. I can't wait to see it on their wall soon !!

Here is the process of this commission:


First, I filled in the canvas with a white outline of a coral shape, making sure it was interesting composition...




Then I went over the white paint with red...




And then I added a few highlights and played with various colors of tangerine and pink... giving the painting a little more interest and depth.



With just a little more "tweaking"... a final product!




Here were the prints that gave me inspiration:


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love them!! (and I want one :) I can't wait till we buy a home and have walls for you to decorate!!!! (FYI: The only paintings we have in our apartment are by you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the red color you used in this painting?

    ReplyDelete