Friday, July 23, 2010

Artwork Made From Your Desk Supplies

When I was a kid I would make necklaces from paper clips, paint my nails with whiteout... and make funny creatures with big pink erasers... oh..... and remember playing that kick football game with your friends by folding up a piece of paper? Yep, school supplies at its finest....

As an adult I don't really use my imagination the way I used to... Well here’s a group of artists who put all our paperclip necklaces and origami jabberwockies to shame with stunning works of art made from office supplies.

COFFEE STIR STICKS AND CUP LIDS:

The photo above is entitled “Sticks, Sleeves, Straws, and Lids” an installation from the “Eternal Return” exhibition. The white tube in the foreground of the photo above is made of white plastic coffee cup lids. Pretty cool.

PAPER CLIPS:

Using 4,000 paper clips, Gary Ponzo made a chandelier that casts mathematically awesome shadows. Reproductions of the chandelier sell for $5,400 to $7,200. Or you could buy four cases of paper clips for $25 and lock yourself into a room going slowly insane trying to reproduce this chandelier at home. Hey, it worked for Howard Hughes.

PENCILS:


How amazing are these carved pencils? I'd love to buy one and go back in time and be the most ballin’ kid taking the SATs, Then I'd only score 200 because it wasn’t a #2 pencil. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

PAPER:




STAPLES:




While we were trying to get our staplers to unjam, Baptiste Debombourg was creating unbelievable works of art with staples. The pictures above are of his Air Force One and Air Force Two installations, made out of 35,000 staples in white drywall. He says these took him 75 hours of work to realize. Meanwhile, the rest of us spent those 75 hours looking for time-waster videos on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment