Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Art, Chalk, and Charity

I was lucky enough to escape LA for Memorial Day Weekend and headed up the coast to one of my most favorite places on earth: Santa Barbra, CA. Besides walking the pier, and shopping on State Street, I went to the Santa Barbra Mission where I discovered the 26th annual Madonnari Chalk Festival. Every year this event draws thousands of people (25 thousand to be exact) and artists create beautiful works on the pavement before the Mission. Madonnari benefits the Children’s Creative Project, a nonprofit arts education program of the Santa Barbara County Education Office. The project serves 50,000 children in more than 100 schools with visual and performing arts workshops and performances throughout Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. I loved that this event was not only fun for everyone there, but it served a huge purpose of supporting art education.

No comments:

Post a Comment