Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mammoth Painting 2010 ... the Stages

So apparently, you have up to a year to provide a wedding gift for a couple. Well, My very best friend, Kelly Duffield, tied the knot this time last year in Mammoth Lakes.

To be honest, I wasn't the least bit excited about the 7 1/2 hour drive out to the mountains for the small ceremony. But the wedding took place outside in the woods with just a few family and friends. The smell of the pine trees, and the pink mountains at sunset -with just a sprinkle of snow left over from a fantastic winter season-- was such a visual experience..... I will never forget it. To this day, Kelly's wedding as one of my most favorite celebrations that I've been a part of. I'm so thankful I went.

So, when I thought of a gift for "Miss Duffy" and her husband Chase, nothing seemed more appropriate than to give them a painting that captured that very weekend. I had gone through my pictures and found an image from when I went hiking that Saturday. I knew that would be my inspiration for their art piece.

I documented the process of my small painting (it measures 12" x 8") ... I always begin my paintings the same. I paint it one color and layer it with details until it seems appropriate to stop.






"Mammoth Lakes" -2010 Acrylic on canvas 12"x8"


Actual Photograph taken of Mammoth Lakes

No comments:

Post a Comment